Here’s your DIY hack for a high-end bath! Luxe up and decorate the outside of your bathtub with this easy paint hack, from YOU’s interiors editor Nicole Gray
You will need
- Bath cleaner
- Sandpaper or sanding tool
- Plastic sheet
- Blade scraper
- Painter’s tape
- Face mask and gloves
- For an acrylic bath, use a tub and tile refinishing kit (check out the selection at paints4trade.com); for a metal bath you’ll need both an oil-based paint and primer
- Foam roller/paintbrush
What to do
- Start by thoroughly cleaning the outside of your bath and leave to dry.
- Protect all fixtures and brassware with plastic sheet and then sand the outside of your bath to create a smooth painting surface.
- If necessary, remove any sealant from the bath’s edges with a blade scraper: go lightly, applying pressure on grimy areas only.
- To get a sharp finish, use painter’s tape around the edges and fixtures.
- Ensure your bathroom is well ventilated and, wearing a face mask and gloves, prep your paint kit according to its instructions.
- Roll the paint vertically and horizontally over the sides of the bath, repeating several times to get an even finish. Allow the first coat to dry before applying the second.
- Wait 48 hours for the bath to dry completely before removing tape and using.
READ MORE: Aldi bath and body product dupes